Other Social Media Profiles
Other Related Articles on Super Green Me
External Website Links
Videos From YouTube
Page ManagerThis page has no page manager. Claim this page
Green Party of Canada
Focus of Activities
The party platform covers six major areas:
- Ecological Wisdom
- Social Justice
- Participatory Democracy
- Respect for Diversity
The party’s main focus at the moment is getting a few seats in the House of Commons – as of 2008 they have none. In the 2006 election, the Green Party secured 4.5% of the popular vote, but this hasn’t yet translated into actual seats in the House. Party Leader Elizabeth May will be going up against Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay in his own riding in the next election in a brassy move designed to win over a seat that has been traditionally the provenance of the ruling Conservative Party.
- Winning 4.5% of the popular vote in the 2006 federal election, making it a minor player in the Canadian political landscape instead of a “fringe” party
- Not polling below 6% in any polls in 2007
- Continually raising awareness of social and environmental issues, keeping the larger parties “on their toes” when it comes to green issues
Author, WWII Veteran
TV Host, Environmentalist
Governance & Financial
The Leader of the Party is Elizabeth May, former Executive Director of the Sierra Club of Canada.
There is also the staff of the party, whose Executive Director is Jim McDonald. They oversee the day to day operations of the party.
The council oversees the direction of the party.
Ombuds and Appeals Committee
Responsible for internal affairs of the party and complaints about party members.
The Shadow Cabinet is made up of experts in different policy areas, and is meant to shadow the currently ruling Cabinet in the House of Commons.
Green Party Members
The Members help to shape the policy and direction of the party in an active manner.
Revenue breaks down as follows:
Government Allowance - $1,262,642
Contributions - 990,029
Other - 12,829
Transfers In - 3,033
Allocation of Funds is:
Transfers to Ridings/Units $ 319,722
Central Party Operations 1,701,337
Carry-over to 2008 $ 183,355
Regions / countries which benefit
How to donate
- Charter of the Global Greens
- This document governs all green parties worldwide
- Green Party of Canada at the University of Toronto
- Facebook Group