Videos From YouTube
4 All Natural, Homemade Sugar and Salt Body Scrubs
Homemade body scrubs are not only fun to make, but they are a great ecological solution to the store bought versions. You're not creating a demand for the plastic packaging they come in, and the product you make won't have any chemicals, synthetic dyes, etc. Also, the kind you make yourself is much healthier for your skin! Without further ado, here is a list of my four favorite homemade body scrubs:
1.) To start off, my absolute favorite is the Banana Body Sugar Scrub, courtesy of Melissa Breyer, Senior Care2 Editor. Here's the recipe:
Banana Body Sugar Scrub
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract or your favorite essential oil (optional)
"Mash ingredients together with a fork into a chunky paste. Do not over-mix or it will become too watery. If you want a banana scrub for your face, reserve some of the banana and mash it separately without sugar.
In the shower, before turning the water on, slather the sugar mixture and gently massage over your body. For your face, gently massage plain banana there, avoiding the eye area.
Rinse off with warm water."
This one really couldn't be easier! This link will take you to the original article:
2.) This next one is a salt scrub, which is great for exfoliating. If you have sensitive skin, just replace the salt with sugar for a gentler exfoliation. I've been using this one for a while now on my legs, and it makes them incredibly smooth. From freebeautytips.org, here it is:
- 8 Cups coarse pickling or Kosher salt. (I use coarse sea salt)
- 2 Cups avocado, untoasted sesame oil or jojoba oil
- 1 Cup apricot or peach kernel oil
- 1 Cup unsweetened cocoa or ¼ Cup freeze dried coffee crystals
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- honey for smoothing the texture (I use agave instead on honey, to make the recipe vegan.)
Just mash it all together. It's really not an elegant process.
Here is the link to the original article:
3.) This one is nice because the coffee makes it smell amazing!
Coffee Sugar Scrub
- 2 cups coarsely ground coffee -- Fair trade coffee obviously works the best ;)
- ½ cup sea salt or raw sugar (I like to use brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons almond oil (or olive oil, jojoba, or apricot kernel oil)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
This is my edited version of one I found online here:
4.) This one is quite possibly the easiest, with all the ingredients probably in your kitchen right now (maybe except for the agave). I made this one myself after some trial and error.
Lemon and Brown Sugar Scrub
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave